Cody and Bailey were excited when a big box arrived at our door last week with a gift for them. They weren’t expecting any mail that day. The gift came from Merrick Pet Care; inviting the dogs to sample and review their new Backcountry™ Raw Infused dog food.
The dogs didn’t want to waste any time diving into the Backcountry dry and canned food so I quickly unpacked the box and read the accompanying fact sheet. I liked the idea that the ingredients were all-natural and included whole pieces of freeze-dried raw meat. The kibble comes in four recipes and we were given the one called Game Bird which was made of turkey, duck and quail with chicken freeze-dried raw pieces. Cody and Bailey licked their bowls clean.
The next morning both dogs decided to review the grain free canned food. There are five grain-free exotic recipes and ours was the Hearty Duck + Venison Stew that included real duck, green beans and venison. I gave each dog their sample and there were no picky eaters in our house that morning.
Both Cody and Bailey gave two paws up for the Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Dog Food for the taste, but this is what I found even more important:
- The freeze-dried raw meat goes through rigorous testing and a process called High-Pressure Processing (HPP) to ensure food safety.
- Merrick Backcountry is made in the USA in Merrick’s own Safe Quality Food Level 3 organically certified kitchens located in Texas. None of the recipes contain ingredients from China.
- The high-protein kibble starts with real deboned meat, poultry or fish and is gluten-free.
- The canned stews are made from a variety of exotic proteins like rabbit, venison, duck and salmon plus fresh vegetables.
- The kibble comes in four recipes: Great Plains Red (beef, lamb and rabbit), Game Bird (turkey, duck and quail), Pacific Catch (salmon, whitefish and trout) and Puppy Recipe (chicken and salmon).
- There are 5 exotic stew recipes: Hearty Beef Stew, Hearty Chicken Thigh Stew, Hearty Duck +Venison Stew, Hearty Salmon Stew and Alpine Rabbit Stew.
Backcountry Raw Infused dog food will be available at Petco locations, online and in independent pet supply stores starting in Spring 2015.
Disclaimer: Neither Cody or Bailey were compensated in anything other than tasty food for this review.
You’ll also enjoy: