Spring in the USA means the beginning of tick season and it’s already off to a disastrous start. A tick nearly claimed the lives of two dogs from Oregon. Tucker is a 4 year-old Yorkie whose owner noticed he couldn’t jump up the steps to their home after playing outdoors. Within a few hours his back legs stopped working and soon he was paralyzed. Ollie is 10 year-old Shetland sheepdog who had just returned from a trip with his family when he went from acting lethargic to complete paralysis. Both dogs were lucky because the ticks hiding under their skin were found in the nick of time.
Tick paralysis is rare, but with two dogs affected by the toxin this early in the season, here are facts pet parents should know about tick paralysis. [Read more…]