I am honored to announce that Rachele Baker, DVM nominated Lessons From A Paralyzed Dog for the Liebster Award. The award is a way for fellow bloggers to recognize blogs they enjoy. Thank you very much Rachele!
Rachele was also nominated for the Liebster Award for her interesting posts about pet health and taking care of your pet. Her recent post about training a dog to enjoy toenail trims was especially helpful to me because it’s one of the tasks I’m nervous to do for my dogs.
Accepting the Liebster Award means answering 11 questions from the person who nominated me, adding 11 random facts about myself and then nominating 3-11 fellow bloggers while adding 11 of my own questions for them to answer. Whew, it’s a lot of work, but here we go!
Questions Rachele Asked Me:
1. What motivated you to start your blog and how long have you been blogging?
I’ve been blogging since 2008 for other websites, but I started Lessons From A Paralyzed Dog in November 2013. I had been blogging for an animal rights website for several years when Sophie died on April 20, 2013. All of a sudden I lost the drive to write another sad story about an animal being mistreated so I decided to take some time off. I began to think about the experience my family had been through taking care of our paraplegic dog and little by little that reminiscing became the motivation to share our story and the lessons we learned with pet parents going through the same challenges.
2. Where do you get the ideas for your blog posts?
My ideas are inspired by Sophie and all of the other dogs and cats that have been in my life. Altogether my husband and I have raised 8 dogs, 6 cats, a bunch of birds, 2 hamsters, 2 lizards and lots of Koi. I’m also constantly jotting down ideas down on scrapes of paper and adding them to a giant Word doc. I started.
3. Do you ever get “writer’s block,” and if so, how do you deal with it?
I’m lucky to say that I have so many story ideas on my Word doc. I don’t get writer’s block, but since I like my stories to cover timely events I scan Google News for current topics relating to my theme. I found it helpful to set up Google Alerts so I get notified when a story on my topic hits the news.
4. What is your favorite food?
I really crave pasta and I get grouchy if I don’t eat it regularly. I love all of the shapes and the wonderful sauces. I think people are unfair to pasta when they say it will make them fat.
5. What is the best advice you can give your fellow bloggers about how to get new subscribers?
That’s a great question that I’m still trying to figure out. BlogPaws has been a wonderful source of subscribers, especially through Wordless Wednesday and building up my Facebook page has brought more regular readers to my site, as well.
6. Do you belong to any writer’s or bloggers’ associations and, if so, which ones?
I belong to BlogPaws which has been very helpful and I joined a bloggers Meet Up group in my city. The Meet Up members are very supportive. The group also sponsored a WordCamp which was really interesting. I plan to join the Dog Writer’s Association when my blog is financially stable.
7. What is the best feedback you have ever gotten on a blog post?
I love when people write how they’ve learned something new from a post because that’s my main goal and I am ecstatic when a pet parent who is currently taking care of a disabled dog or cat reaches out to me. I’ve had people reach out from all over the world and that’s very satisfying. I help them find a product or service, discuss their feelings and even assist with a diagnosis. My BEST feedback came when I put a foster mom in New Mexico in touch with Heath’s Haven Rescue for special needs dogs in Idaho so that a paralyzed puppy named Lizee could get the medical treatment she needed.
8. What is something people would be surprised to know about you?
I was one of 5 people who founded the Heaven Can Wait Animal Society in Las Vegas, NV. We’ve placed more than 6,000 cats and dogs into new homes and spayed/neutered 115,000 pets.
9. How do you get the word out about your blog posts?
Facebook and Twitter is where I focus most of my time. If it’s something special I also post it in the BlogPaws Content group. I share on Google+ and recently on Pinterest.
10. Have you been to a BlogPaws Conference?
Yes, I went to the 2014 BlogPaws Conference. I was lucky that it was held in my city. I was able to go to the workshops and the information shared was very helpful, but I missed out on networking and getting to know other bloggers because I couldn’t attend the social affairs.
11. What is your greatest joy in life?
My family, two-legged and four-legged are my greatest joy.
11 Random Facts About Me:
- I’m a vegetarian and I’d be vegan if I was a better cook.
- I married my college sweetheart.
- I’ve visited all of the Hawaiian Islands and a vacation home on Maui or the Big Island would be wonderful.
- My college roommate was my parakeet, Perky, who loved to dive-bomb into my cereal bowl.
- I grew up in L.A. and moved to Las Vegas three weeks after graduating college.
- I have no patience for people who waste my time.
- After taking a class on freelance writing I sold my first story to Ladies’ Home Journal.
- My son got married last year.
- I’m so very left-handed that the only thing I can do with my right hand is to use a pair of scissors. I didn’t know they made left-handed scissors until I was an adult.
- Sweating during a workout on the treadmill and talking with my friends is the best way to start the morning.
- I am an Albert Einstein groupie.
Here Are My Nominees:
Should you accept this award, here are the rules:
- Acknowledge and accept the Liebster Award by leaving a comment on the blog where you were nominated.
- Copy and paste the Liebster logo onto your own blog.
- Link back to the blogger who awarded you.
- Answer the 11 questions put to you by the person who nominated you.
- List 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate and link to 3 to 11 other blogs you enjoy that have less than 3000 followers or are less than 12 months old.
- List 11 questions for your Liebster Award nominees on your blog.
- Inform your nominees by leaving a comment on their blog.
11 Questions for My Nominees:
- What motivated you to start your blog and how long have you been blogging?
- What blog related goals would you like to achieve in 2015?
- What types of stories do you like writing most?
- What types of stories do your readers respond to most?
- What is the best comment you’ve received on your blog?
- If you could share only one piece of advice with a novice blogger, what would it be?
- Besides blogging, what else do you like to do?
- What time of day or evening do you write?
- What are your pets doing while you’re writing?
- What is the best costume your pet has worn for a holiday?
- What makes you laugh?
Thank you for reading ALL THE WAY DOWN to this closing sentence. I hope you’ll check out all of the excellent blogs I nominated for the Liebster Award and please see what Rachele Baker, DVM blog is sharing on her blog. Thanks again for the nomination Rachele.